A randomized controlled trial on virtual, team-based, exercise and community building
HMS students, MGH residents, and MGH attendings are eligible for this study. You may click the registration button above or below to read more about the study and provide consent to participate. Briefly...
1. You will fill out a 5 minute survey.
2. After the enrollment period ends, you will receive an email with your randomization assignment into either the intervention group (virtual, team-based exercise for all six months) versus control group (usual exercise for the first three months and virtual, team-based exercise for the second three months).
2a. Intervention group: you will also receive your random team assignment for the first three months and instructions on how to sync your favorite wearable or smartphone app (MapMyFitness, RunKeeper, etc) with our FitRankings platform.
2b. Control group: you will also receive your random team assignment for the second three months and instructions on how to sync your favorite wearable or smartphone app (MapMyFitness, RunKeeper, etc) with our FitRankings platform.
3. After successful registration to FitRankings, you will be emailed a code which enables you to select one of the above athletic tshirts to be shipped to you, for free.
4a. Intervention group will engage in three months of virtual, team-based exercise.
4b. Control group will engage in three months of usual exercise.
5. After three months, both groups will be asked to complete a 5-10 minute mid-study questionnaire, the completion of which will earn you one raffle ticket for prizes.
5a. Intervention group will be re-randomized onto new teams for the second three months. These teams include participants from both intervention/control groups.
5b. Control group will have already signed up during step 2b and will receive a reminder email that their three months of virtual, team-based exercise is starting.
6. After three more months (six months total), both groups will be asked to complete a 5-10 minute post-study questionnaire, the completion of which will earn you one raffle ticket for prizes.
7. Throughout the study, raffle tickets for prizes (apparel, waterbottles, pens, etc.) will be awarded to individuals who send pictures of group activities (group pelotons, runs, yoga events, virtually-coordinated zoom workouts, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Group activities may be with members your own team or other teams!